lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Java version of Lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Java version of Lynx
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 08:42:53 +0100 (BST)

> I think jumping from C to Java is not so easy. In fact writing such a huge
> project in raw C is not a good programming practice. I think it is better
> to rewrite Lynx in C++. It seems writing Java code from C++ code is
> easier.

My experience of C++ in freeware is that it is much more difficult to
maintain; some of the reasons for so few people understanding the Lynx
code include that parts of it are back ports from C++ to C.

The basic problem with C++, or rather object design, is that you need to
know a lot about the object model before you can make anything but the
smallest of changes.  That's because the flow of control in such programs
tends to jump between many objects over a short space of time.  You'll
actually find that very few of the really key freeware programs use
object oriented languages.

This problem even occurs in commercial maintenance programming.