lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx segfault while using image viewers

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx segfault while using image viewers
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 00:02:39 -0500

020102 Klaus Weide wrote:
> Happy new year!

it's been a couple of years ... (grin)!

> On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Philip Webb wrote:
>>   sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `&)'
>>   sh: -c: line 1: `kview /tmp/EdHJ8b/L1254-242TMP.gif &)'
>>
>>   A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.8.4dev.19
>>   -- etc --
>>
>> my mailcap entry is
>>   image/gif; kview %s &
> Does it make a difference if you change that to
>  image/gif;kview %s &  (of course it shouldn't)?

no, it shouldn't: do you base this suggestion on knowledge of Lynx source?

> If that is the last line in the mailcap file, is it terminated?

no & yes, respectively.

> Does it make a difference if you put VIEWER:image/gif in lynx.cfg instead?

 lynx.cfg  (tidied a bit) says:

# The MIME_type:viewer:XWINDOWS definitions listed here in  lynx.cfg
# are among those established via  src/HTInit.c .  For the image types,
#  HTInit.c  uses the XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND definition in  userdefs.h  or above.
# You can change any of these defaults via global/personal mailcap files.
# Assignments made here will be overridden by entries in those files.

so an entry in  lynx.cfg  would have an effect
only if i were to drop the line in  .mailcap , which would affect eg Mutt.

to emphasise the basics of the problem again:
(1) it's intermittent between (but not within) Lynx invocations;
(2) it occurs with local, as well as remote, files;
(3) the error blurb refers explicitly to the temporary directory/file,
which it cannot access for some reason: NB the random tmp directory name
was added to Lynx a few years ago to remove a race-condition vulnerability;
(4) whatever the cause of the problem, Lynx should not crash.

i'm now using 2-8-5dev.5 (the problem was with 2-8-4dev.19 ),
so i will report on tonight's newsreading session tomorrow morning.

PS could we please change the solecism `XWINDOWS' to the correct `XWINDOW'?