lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:37:45 -0400

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 11:12:31AM +0100, Ian Collier wrote:
> > Seems like a large proportion of documents are created dynamically
> > on the web these days.
>
> Yes, and irritating it is too.  I wish I could get more browsers to
> ignore the gratuitous no-cache pragmas that some sites send.

I agree.  Most of the time, nothing's going to change except the ad
that gets included, anyway, and I'm sure they know that, but they want
to push out as many ads as possible.

Even in cases where it might be legitimate, I sometimes wish there was
a way to override that and force lynx to ignore those instructions not
to cache the document.  For example, I'm reading a comment on slashdot
that has a dozen replies, some of them fairly lengthy.  All of the replies
are included in a single web page, so the page may be quite sizeable.

As I'm reading these replies, references are made to the original comment,
but without quotes to refer to.  I know that if I go back to see what
they're talking about, the page I'm reading right now will have to be
reloaded, so I have the dilemma of whether I want to take the extra time
to refer back to the original comment and then wait for the current page
to reload or not, and sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Sure, a new reply might have been added to the bunch since I loaded the
page, but that's true even if I continue reading and don't go back, so
what difference does it make?  I wish they wouldn't *force* me to reload
the page every time.  I think anyone reading slashdot (or any forum that
does that) has enough sense to know that new replies can come in at any
time, and enough smarts to do the forced reload themselves if they really
want to see if any actually did come in.

Sorry for the lengthy rant, but if no one else beats me to it, I just
might add such a selective override myself, in my own copy if nothing
else, if everyone else thinks it's inappropriate in the official version.

Chuck