lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] nested-table in lynx2.8.6pre.2

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] nested-table in lynx2.8.6pre.2
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:55:16 +0900

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 12:52:50AM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, address@hidden wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > > Is "nested-table logic" only supposed to work with, i.e., depend on,
> > > "color-style", which in turn assumes "screen=ncurses", or is it that
> > > it has only been tested with "color-style" and may work in other
> > > configurations?
> >
> > no - it works either way, but has been tested more with color-style.
> > The context for the bug noted above was that there was some logic
> > difference between the two styles that happened to make it work better.
>
> I tested 2.8.6pre.3 with ncurses and slang on Debian.  "color-style"
> is enable for only the former binary.  I couldn't find any differences
> between them with my example file except default setting.

Okay, I got 2.8.6pre.3 compiled with slang on NetBSD.

  [
   The build was pretty smooth, except -- was there some problem with
   the patch to avoid the libslang/libintl include conflict? cf:
   "http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2006-06/msg00036.html";
  ]

With that test of yours (TH),
"http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2003-05/msg00017.html";,
the result is better with nested-tables toggled off.  With nested-tables
on, the line gets truncated at the right of the screen.

> > > Also, can lynx-devers suggest some URLs of good examples of tables
> > > where nested-table logic improves the presentation?  Thanks.
>
> http://weather.asahi.com/pinpoint/kanto/tokyo.html
> Tokyo's wether information page in Japanese.
> I can get better result with a large screen.

Tried "http://weather.asahi.com/pinpoint/kinki/nara.html";.  :)

Hmmm.  Maybe there is something wrong with my configuration of Lynx.
I don't see any appreciable difference between nested-table toggled
on or off at run time.  The rendering as a whole is very bad either
way, to the point that the table is practically useless.  Cells are
displayed vertically instead of horizontally.  (Is it my screen?  I
access Lynx via a shell account with PuTTY on WindowsXP as the terminal
emulator; only 80 characters wide.)

   9/16(土)
   9/17(日)
   9/18(月)
   9/19(火)
   9/20(水)
   9/21(木)
   9/22(金)
   天気 [91]曇り → [92]雨 [93]曇り | [94]雨 [95]曇り | [96]雨 [97]曇り |
   [98]晴れ [99]晴れ | [100]曇り [101]晴れ | [102]曇り [103]曇り
   気温 27℃
   20℃
   27℃
   19℃
   27℃
   20℃
   29℃
   20℃
   28℃
   19℃
   27℃
   19℃
   27℃

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999