lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] javascript engine specification

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] javascript engine specification
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:09:49 +0900

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 04:18:51PM +0200, Ákos Sülyi wrote:
> I just really dont't like to miss those dynamically loaded stuff using
> lynx. On the other hand these scripts mostly just annoying.
>
> I don't want to change lynx's renderer, it's cool as it is. Maybe it
> is a sick idea having js without dom.

You are not the first.  Some 15 years ago there was a project
called " BarryScript."  It didn't last very long, but if you
are interested I'll send you the original package.  Below my
sig I've included the README file.

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999

README included in "bscript_0.0.1.zip" (36kB)

Welcome to BarryScript, version 0.0.1.

Last updated:  November 17, 1997.

This is a standalone (read:  no hooks to lynx yet) BarryScript interpreter.
BarryScript is a fair portion of the "core" of a mishmash of the preliminary
draft of JavaScript 1.1 and the language description provided by David Flanagan
in his O'Rielly & Assoc. book, plus a bit of the new ECMA standard just to
keep things unclear.

What does "core" mean?  No objects.  No "document.write", no "Element.onfocus",
nothing that would make this really useful to lynx in the here and now, or
even in the here and later tomorrow afternoon.

Not all of the core is implemented, either.  While a standard FOR statement
exists, FOR ... IN does not.  Arrays have yet to be worked up.  I'm programming
the function calls this evening, actually.

Why distribute this to the world?  The framework is here for full language
implementation and hookup with lynx.  Consider this a request for comment and
a call for volunteers.  Or if someone is inspired to start from scratch and
come up with a better solution, I'll be more than happy to help or just cheer
you on.

Here's what to do:

1.  Be sure you have flex and bison installed.  [3 lines snipped H.N.]

2.  Type
                make

3.  Link "t.bs" to a file containing JavaScript-like code.  (I've provided a
few examples with the extention "bs" -- no smart remarks, please.)

4.  Run the executable "x".  (ok, ok, it ain't descriptive, but it sure is
easy to type...)

5.  Watch and enjoy the resulting display that makes the old DOS debug screen
look positively meaningful....

6.  Read my project-defense-in-progress thesis.txt for more information.  At
this point, it hasn't even been put through the spell-checker yet, so please
bear with me.