lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] javascript engine specification

From: Klaus-Peter Wegge
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] javascript engine specification
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 12:29:14 +0200 (CEST)

Henry and all,

may I also ask for a copy of the BarryScript package to my PM?
May be there are some good ideas in it even if it might be outdated.
I think that lynx can benefit from a partial JavaScript support in the
following situations which are at the moment hurting limits of lynx:
- javascript links
- Check of formfields by javascript functions
- HTML-text created by javascripts

for these and may be some more text-output based Javacript functions
no major changes in the lynx rendering is required.
But the problem will be to create a javascript engine which is reduced
to text-based output without all this graphic rubbish.

Moreover, it is the question how to plug-in such a piece of software
best into lynx. Such a plug-in may be used also for other purposes.

One of my students has created a proxy server which modifies
specified (very often used) web sites by applying user defined rules.
We are using this approach to make often used web-sites like
dictionaries, search engines, intranet services etc. more accessible
and easier to use by persons with disabilities. E.g. we insert
so called bypass links to the main parts of the site which allow a more
efficient use for blind users or we create missing alt-tags by applying
rules or remove redundant information etc.
I know, it would be much better to increase accessibility of the web site directly but the above strategy is very flexible.
Because the implementation of the described html-modifier into a proxy
is not the best way (security, personalization, administration) I was
thinking to plug-in this piece of existing software into lynx.
But due to time constrains, I have not figured out yet, how to do it
best in lynx.
Any initial hints are welcome, so one of my new students can try.

Many thanks

Klaus