lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27

From: Stephen Isard
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:06:57 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013, Thomas Dickey dickey-at-his.com |lynx-dev| wrote:

On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 08:58:21PM -0500, Stephen Isard wrote:
<snip>
/etc/lynx.lss, there is a line
alink:          reverse:                yellow:         black
but links are displayed as yellow on a white, rather than black,
background, which I find hard to see.  If I replace the word "black"
by any other permissable  color name, the links come up with that
color as background.  It is only "black" (and of course "white")
that gives a white background.

That sounds as if your terminal background is white, and tweaking one or
both of these settings in lynx.cfg would help:

        ASSUMED_COLOR
        DEFAULT_COLORS

Yep, the terminal background is white, and changing DEFAULT_COLORS from true to false gives the link text a black background. Thank you.

I take it from your response that this is the way you expect lynx to work with the given settings, i.e., it's not a bug. I'd be surprised though if the yellow on white I was getting is what the packagers of my rpm intended. It only started happening when I switched to Scientific Linux 6, which has lynx-2.8.6-27. Under Scientific Linux 5 with lynx-2.8.5-28.1.el5_2.1.x86_64.rpm, links had a contrasting background. To help me make a useful report to the packagers, can you tell me whether the behavior of lynx itself has changed in this regard between 2.8.5 and 2.8.6? The earlier package didn't have an /etc/lynx.lss file at all, whereas the current lynx binary refuses to run without a .lss file. Is that your change or theirs? The old package did have /etc/lynx.cfg, but no entry in it for DEFAULT_COLORS. Is it new, or did they just start using it? Basically, do I want to tell them that lynx has changed, or that some change they have made themselves has had an unintended consequence?

Thanks for your time (and for lynx!),

Stephen Isard