Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:27:04 -0400

%% Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  >> make: Entering directory `/src/make-3.81beta3/tests/work'
  >>
  >> and the log files have this:
  >>
  >> make: Entering directory `C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/tests/work'

  ez> Do we actually care about these lines?  I'd expect them to be
  ez> significant only in some specialized test (if there is one) that
  ez> checks sub-Make and chdir stuff.  Otherwise, I think these lines
  ez> are just useless clutter.

They are, but we don't have any way in the test suite to ignore them
(today).

  ez> If you agree, we could ask Diff to ignore differences in these
  ez> lines (using the "-I REGEXP" switch with a suitable REGEXP).
  ez> Would that work?

The problem is that GNU make hasn't, up to now, required GNU diff; any
diff will do.  I don't really want to make GNU diff a prerequisite for
running the regression test suite.

Maybe the test suite should perform its own comparison, encoded in Perl,
rather than running diff... but for 3.81 it seems easiest to figure out
a way to get the test suite to determine the "fully qualified" pathname
and use that in the base files, instead of the output of pwd.