[Maposmatic-dev] Fwd: Making it easier to translate

From: Guttorm Flatabø
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Fwd: Making it easier to translate
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 10:27:06 +0200

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden> wrote:
> Transifex<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/maposmatic/>,

Thanks! How can we (original MapOSMatic developers) have administration
rights on this Transifex project?

Sign up, give me your username and I'll add you as maintainers and give you the necessary access rights. To transfer "ownership" it seems I have to send in a request for that to be done manually.

> which is pretty easily done with their
> client<http://help.transifex.net/features/client/index.html>("transifex-client"
> in both PYPI and the Fedora repositories). I've only
> set up the ocitysmap
> module<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/maposmatic/resource/ocitysmap/>for
> now, and some error in the .po or on their server end prevented me
> from adding "it" and "ar", but it should be sufficient to show how it
> works.

What are the problems you had? If it can't import the existing .po,
it's quite annoying.

Seems to be some problem on their servers. "ar" went through now, and italian couldn't go through as it didn't contain any translations.

Also, what would be the bi-directional workflow for the .po files? On
one side, we regularly need to inject into Transifex the new strings to
translate, and on the other side, we regularly need to fetch from
Transifex the latest translation updates. How would this work?

I've set up the ocistysmap.pot to be automatically updated from http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/plain/locale/ocitysmap.pot, but it also possible to do it manually with the web interface or the client (which you could put in a script). Fetching the new translations should probably be done with the client either manually or scripted (if you trust the translators), and then pushed with git.

I've set it up so that all members of Transifex can contribute to the translations now. The default is to only allow approved "language teams" to translate. We can do that later, if preferred.

> BTW2: I thought I had received the translation invitation e-mail
> because I had contributed translations before. However, while finding
> out where bugs are handled I see that my
> submission<https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35372>hasn't been touched
> (or so it seems at least) since I submitted on the 25th
> of January. Did I submit to the wrong place, are bugs handled
> elsewhere?

I will take care of it

So it is the right place to report bugs, just not very much in use?

> BTW3: Theres a "Test gettext" string in the ocitysmap.pot file.
> Surely that is not needed for translation?

It is used in some kind of unit test to test if the _() function is
available. I guess it could be done in a different way.

Or we can add a translator comment that it need not be translated.

--
Guttorm