Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Idea of development for MapOSMatic: visualizing ren

From: Frederic Daniel Luc Lehobey
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Idea of development for MapOSMatic: visualizing rendering locations
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:22:43 +0100

Hi,

Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden> :

> One thing that would be a great addition to the MapOSMatic website
> would be a slippy map of the world that shows the location of the
> rendered maps. This would allow us to see for which areas people are
> rendering maps. Totally useless, but absolutely interesting. It would

Definitely!  :)

> allow us to discover interesting parts of the world for which people
> are rendering maps.
>
> Viewing data for the last 500 maps, or even if possible the entire set
> of renderings would be awesome.
>
> Of course, drawing one point per map is going to be horrible, so
> someone has to use some clustering algorithm to group points at close
> locations into a bigger points, unless someone zooms in.

For the clustering algorithm (I do not whether it is free software or
not: no time to look for the used library) I found this behaviour
interesting (and quite fluent):

  http://www.sous-surveillance.net/ (pick a city)¹

> Is someone interested by such a development?

No time.   :-)

Best regards,
Frédéric Lehobey

1. That kind of site was a dream of mine. Glad some fellow did the job.