Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:29:37 +1100

On 12 December 2011 21:18, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Tony,
>
> Thanks for your work regarding the config.guess issue.
> However, I think there's something strange in the current
> dev version:
>
> Tony Theodore schrieb:
>> On 29 November 2011 03:06, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > (I prefer $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET) over $(PREFIX) because we
>> >  might want to add TARGET-specific stuff here in the future.)
>>
>> Indeed, only $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET) is required:
>>
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/57d6b9a7a2a0
>
> This changeset introduces the creation of config.site:
>
>    [...]
>    echo "ac_cv_build=`$(1)/config.guess`" >
> '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share/config.site'
>
> It was meant to replace the direct calls to config.guess:
>
>    ./configure \
>        --build="`config.guess`" \
>        [...]
>
> However, according to Mark the config.site script isn't really
> used. So I guess the config.site file should be removed, shouldn't
> it? Or are you still looking for a way to remove the "--build" lines?

Hi Volker,

The config.site doesn't remove the need for "--build" lines, but it
does remove the need for an updated config.sub file which I removed
here:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/fbbf875bec5a

and removed the patches for outdated packages here:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/74bb1c502f7e

The only case this doesn't hold is for native builds, where I used the
"echo $1" trick instead of a real config.sub.

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/215c972c5084

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Tony