Re: [Mldonkey-users] OCaml patch / Debian packages / etc

From: Andreas Kotes
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] OCaml patch / Debian packages / etc
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:18:42 +0200

Hi!

* MLdonkey <address@hidden> [20020723 14:32]:
> >    I still don't know what the patch is for ;-)
>
> The patch is used to read the offuscated code containing the eDonkey
> protocol specification (three small modules) . It's not nice, there
> have been a lot of discussions about that, but I still think it is the
> only way to avoid leechers from breaking the eDonkey network. I'm for
> full open-source programs, but the eDonkey protocol is not designed to
> be open-source. I will not break this beautiful network just for
> ideological reasons (wars between open-source and closed-source
> protocols are useless, the real problem is with cryptographic
> protocols that can't be reverse-engeneered)

(!) this explains a lot, especially why I haven't been able to contact
servers using the binaries I can compile with debian ocaml .. gna ..

okay, trying again

   Count

--
Andreas Kotes - ICQ: 3741366 - The views expressed herein are (only) mine.
The idea is to die young as late as possible.            -- Ashley Montagu