Re: [Mldonkey-users] Emule

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Emule
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:25:25 +0200 (CEST)

>  there is another OpenSource Edonkey client called Emule (
>  http://emule.sourceforge.net ). It only works on Windows, so I
>  couldn't test it...

Maybe someone will try to port it to Linux. Three clients is better
than two :)

> What do you think of it? I've heard, that it is COMPLETELY
> OpenSource, so that everyone can see Edonkey protocol in plain c++.

Yes, and, as a consequence, mldonkey protocol files will be released
in next snapshot.

> Is that dangerous for the Edonkey network? (just because MLdonkey
> said, that it would be dangerous for Edonkey, if he makes the
> edonkey part of MLdonkey OpenSource)

Well, it depends on how we react. If we decide to change the protocol
to detect cheating clients, it will not be dangerous. Cheating clients
will not be better than other ones, and people will prefer the other
ones.

Currently, I have two ideas:
- Recommandations for good uploaders, propagated between clients when
    needed, for them to gain priority for download.
- Special servers, communicating to detect clients connected to too
    many servers, and propagating a black-list to all servers to
    get rid of these clients...

>  Will Emule and MLdonkey perhaps cooperate?

Yes, they will. We are now in contact to see how ...

- MLDonkey