Re: [Mldonkey-users] speedup distribution of rare files [Was: Re: How t

From: Maxence Guesdon
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] speedup distribution of rare files [Was: Re: How to fight abuse of mldonkey]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:55:08 +0200

On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 22:32:47 +0200
Jochen Radmacher <address@hidden> wrote:

> >Just my opinion here: Having a monetary system is not very good
> >for rare files, or not very popular files.
> >
> Full Ack. But how about going one step further:  If you could give
> priority to some files you are sharing you would speedup the spreeding
> of rare files.

The problem is that the files i have are rare because it does not interest
a lot of people. I could offer the file for a high price (as Goswin suggested)
 so I can download more by uploading less, but if I think my rare file is
interesting or good, I'd like other people to listen or see it and don't
want to prevent them from downloading it from me because of the price.

I don't think introducing a money system is a good thing. After all,
all p2p networks have leechers, and there will always be such people.
What is important is that they don't prevent sharing users to find, download
and upload files. I think that detecting leechers of protocol abusers
(for example, being connected to many servers at once, sending queries
too often wrt the 'legal delay', ...) and blacklisting them is a better
solution, with blacklists shared among servers (maybe with a vote system).

Another problem with the money system is that the user will have to choose
a policy for 'buying' blocks from some people and not from others, or
to manually select what he wants to buy when he sees the sources of the
blocks he wants. If it is automatic, it may make him download one block
with a high price (a too hich price by someone wanting to make money),
letting him no money to buy other blocks. Should a money system be
used, i think all blocks should have the same price, which brings
us back to my problem with my rare files that nobody wants :-(

Maxence