Re: [Mldonkey-users] Problem in Bittorrent

From: Christian Roerecke
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Problem in Bittorrent
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:50:21 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2003 13:52 schrieb Sven Koch:
> On Thu, 8 May 2003, Thoran wrote:
> > Error: f.scarywater.net: address not found
> >
> > I am running mlnet chrooted with MLDONKEY_CHROOT.  Thus, maybe the libc
> > try to read /etc/resolv.conf (or other resources)  *after* mlnet chroots.
> > I will try to copy  files like this one  in the jail to see if changes
> > things.
>
> Name-Resolution is not directly contained in glibc.
>
> It uses /lib/libnss_*, configured by /etc/nsswitch.conf (and all the old
> files like /etc/resolv.conv and more)
>
> The libnss-Files are not loaded at program start-time, instead they are
> loaded when the are to be used first. And even when statically compiled,
> they are loaded dynamically (and a major pita if you use programs static
> linked against different glibc versions)

I suppose this could be the reason for me being unable to access the soulseek
and gnutella server as well downloading bittorrent links because they all
depend on proper name resolution which is impossible on my machine. I
installed mlnet on a router which still uses glibc 2.0.x, so any recent
libnss* compiled against glibc 2.2.x won't work either, because that's the
system I compiled mlnet on.

Are there any workarounds which I could use for name resolution? Or is the
only possibility to upgrade my router distribution to be in sync with my
compile system?

Thanks in advance
Christian