Re: Basic q's abt monit 4.5.1

From: anuj agrawal
Subject: Re: Basic q's abt monit 4.5.1
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 08:39:48 +0100 (BST)

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply....

The problem with my server process is that it doesnt create any pid file on start up....i had manually created a pid file for the server and copied the pid of the process in it....then only was monit able to monitor it (it showed the status as running).

Thats why i asked that how would monit come to know the pid of the server when restarting it.

Is there ne way to make a process create a pid file after startup???

If not then given the situation of how i create the pid file..what should i do to make monit restart my process.

Anuj

Christian Kowarzik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Anuj,

anuj agrawal wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Well for my intro i am a newbie in the world of MONIT
> and hence facing some difficulties using it.
>
> I am using monit 4.5.1 to monitor a certain server
> which is written in java. When the server is up there
> is no pid file generated by it hence i wrote my own
> pid file and i wrote the pid of the server process in
> it.
>
> Once this was done i made an emtry in the monitrc file
> placed in /etc as:
>
> check process server with pidfile /var/run/server.pid
> start = "............"
> stop = "............"
>
> after doing this i started the monit web interface in
> which it was easily recognising and monitoring the
> process "server".It showed the status as running and
> all the required information was correctly displayed.
>
> Now,i pressed the "stop" button and hence the process
> was successfully stopped.
>
> Now comes the problem , when i try to start the server
> through monit it doesnt and shows "execution failed".
>
> Questions i have are:
>
> 1) When starting a service how does monit come to know
> the pid of the process???
by looking in the pid file you specified in the monit.conf like in
'check process server with pidfile /var/run/server.pid'

> 2) Does monit itself places the pid of the started
> process in the pid file??(i.e. updates the pidfile)
no, the proccess you started itself is responsible for placing its pid
in the pidfile - or your startup script if the proccess itself is not
able to do so

> Eagerly awaiting replies.
>
> Thanks,
> Anuj

christian

begin:vcard
fn:Christian Kowarzik
n:Kowarzik;Christian
org:PROFESSIONAL IT-SERVICE
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Kaiserstra=C3=9Fe 28b;D=C3=BCsseldorf;NRW;40479;Deutschland
email;internet:address@hidden
tel;work:0211 - 545 11 37
tel;fax:0211 - 152 00 50
tel;cell:0179 - 226 28 90