[Monotone-devel] Re: Deleting branches (was: Synchronising changes in tw

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Deleting branches (was: Synchronising changes in two branches ...)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:31:45 -0400

On 01 Sep 2004 23:13:10 +0200, Peter Simons <address@hidden> wrote:

My experience is that such "multi-branch constructs" are
quite often necessary when using Monotone for more
sophisticated tasks. In this light, I think it would be
particularly important to have user interface options for
deleting branches, renaming branches, and generally purging
the database. Doing these things on the SQL level is not for
everybody (me, for example) and achieving the desired effect
by using temporary databases is, well, cumbersome.

agreed. it's just a matter of implementing the commands :)

So I was wondering: Is it very difficult to implement these
things? I honestly don't know, so I ask ... but if it is
not, I would recommend doing it _soon_, because I think
these options would really lift the usability of the tool to
a new level.

ok. I wish .. alas, I wish I had time to implement a lot more
such things, but I can only really reprioritize things so much
before I conclude that "the list is currently too long". at the
moment my priority scheme looks like this:

 - home life
 - work
 - monotone
   - critical bug fixes
   - completion of changeset branch
   - less critical but still real bugs
   - merging in existing branches
     - ssh branch
     - restrictions branch
   - update manual, rewrite tutorial
   - all other new features
     -->> extra manipulation commands <<--
     - extended querying and reporting
     - merge into directory
     - agents, sign-bots, testsuite scripts
   - library upgrades
     - argp
     - sqlite 3
     - perhaps botan over cryptopp
     - perhaps python over lua (?)
   - a good GUI
   - cryptographic extensions
     - randomized transient merkle tries
     - randomized secondary MACs in MT/manifest
     - dynamic algorithm / parameter selection
     - automatic hash re-keying

Not that I expect anyone to care what _I_ want. :-)

oh now, that's not true. I definitely care about feedback
I get (especially from experienced long-time users), I just
don't have enough free effort to do all the things I care
to do. surely this is a familiar enough situation.

-graydon