Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch Naming

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch Naming
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:38:18 -0600

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 01:27:40PM -0600, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:

What I am suggesting is the names internally stay the same (com.name.branch.subbranch), but a new selector could be added that does this:

name.com/branch/subbranch

or com.name.branch --> name.com/branch.

I like the idea of switching to host/subtree as the naming scheme, it
does seem much nicer.  But doing it by creating multiple distinct
representations seems like a bad idea to me.  I'd much rather just
remove the current impediments to using "/" in branch names, and then
switch over.

I'd actually at that point like to see Monotone _enforce_ the
requirement of having something that looks like <host>/<branch> for
branch names; experience says that even with the best intentions, if
we just rely on policy to make branch names unique, weird non-unique
things will escape and pollute the global namespace.  It's just not
something that policy alone seems sufficient to enforce.

Of course, we wouldn't check that the <host> actually resolved, or try
and verify in 'whois' that the committer actually owned it, or
anything silly like that; but just a little syntactic requirement to
force people to think about the issue, and make the correct behavior
into the path of least resistance, would be good.

-- Nathaniel

Another benefit of doing things this way would be not having to enter a host name all the time. When one was excluded, print a warning and use the collection name.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-land.com