Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 03:06:23 -0700

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 02:23:16AM -0700, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> Here's merging diff/cdiff/xdiff -> "diff
> --unified/--context/--external"; I couldn't really think of any other
> names for arguments that made sense.. "--format context" maybe, but
> --format is rather generic of an option name.  "diff --diff-format
> context" would work, but is pretty verbose.  Let me know if there are
> some better flag ideas...

Looks good.  Missing doc/testsuite updates?

Separate thought: probably external diff should have some option to
pass arguments on to the external diff command?  So you could use like
--external --diff-args="-p" or whatever.  (Implementation-wise, I
guess they'd just get passed straight on to the hook as another
argument... that could be 'nil' if the user didn't specify anything.)

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."