Re: [Monotone-devel] ViewMTN 0.04

From: Grahame Bowland
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ViewMTN 0.04
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:49:17 +0800

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 05:05:40PM -0700, Conrad Steenberg wrote:
> Hi Grahame
>
> First of all, thanks for writing viewmtn, I've been using it for a while
> and it really helps me visualize what's going on in out monotone
> tree :-)
>
> Using version 0.04 gives me a little trouble though: getting the heads
> of the branch (called default) with $TOP/branch.psp?branch=default
> makes the browser seem to sit around and wait for input.
>
> Looking at the process list, I see the 'monotone automate stdio' command
> hanging around. Logging the datastream written to monotone's stdin in
> this case is
> l5:heads7:defaulte
>
> Executing the same monotone automate command on the command-line taking
> the above line from stdin yields
> 0:0:m:41:db17dfac20003f691ee31031e44c676c1928e24f
> 0:0:l:0:
>
> with no problems.
>
> Viewing a list of tags(tags.psp), or branches (index.psp), or even
> getting revision info (revision.psp) also works fine :-(
>
> This is with monotone 0.22 compiled from the source rpm on venge.net, on
> a Scientific Linux 3.03/x86 machine (2.4 kernel, glibc-2.3, gcc-3.2.3)
> which hasn't given any other compatibility troubles so far.

Hiya Conrad

I've had a few reports of similar problems. I'm not one-hundred percent
certain, but I think it's probably something to do with buffering on
the file descriptors. I've straced monotone automate stdio when this
happens, and it's usually blocking reading from fd0; so either it
never managed to read my command, or it's written a response and
viewmtn never read that.

It'd be great if you could look into it - perhaps your combination of
kernel and glibc is more prone to it :) I'd suggest adding a few .sync()
calls on the file descriptors (Automate in monotone.py) and seeing if
that helps.

Cheers
Grahame

--
Grahame Bowland                       Email: address@hidden
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 6488 1175