[Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple private keys in 0.24

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple private keys in 0.24
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:08:14 +0000

Daniel THOMPSON <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Assuming one works on multiple projects (e.g. monotone and coLinux)
> then having separate keys with the same e-mail address does make
> sense to some degree. For example if the private key for one project
> is compromised then only that project needs to go to the trouble of
> revoking the key (and reviewing all changes signed with that key).

It feels like a confusing setup, though.

I guess this is partly about monotone's oddness, compared to other VC
systems: the overall model seems to be of a global Tree, where each
database contains some subset of the information, depending on what it
happens to have synced with.  I can't see any particular support for
constructing a group of databases disconnected from any other, for
example.  Easy to fake it, I guess, using branch epochs or changing
the code to use different netsync versions.

My guess is that it would be valuable to allow more general key names,
so one could have "monotone <address@hidden>" and things.
That's been suggested before; I don't know where it got to.

[...]