Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone log order

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone log order
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:00:07 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:55:32 -0500, Yury Polyanskiy
<address@hidden> said:

ypolyans> Hi all!
ypolyans>
ypolyans> I just found an interesting case when monotone log order is
ypolyans> somewhat puzzling.
ypolyans>
ypolyans> Ok. Here is my graph. First I created initial revision A and
ypolyans> worked on the project for a month or so:
ypolyans>
ypolyans> A->B->...->R
ypolyans>
ypolyans> Now I wanted to import a patch made against original A. So I commited
ypolyans> that patch and merged and have now this:
ypolyans>
ypolyans> A->B->...->R->S
ypolyans> |             ^
ypolyans> \---> A1 -----/
ypolyans>
ypolyans> After this I commit one more revision to S and do a
ypolyans> "monotone log". Here's what I see (note dates).
ypolyans>
[... remove log showing the revisions in the order T, S, A1, R, A, Q, ...]
ypolyans>
ypolyans> Is it ok that _INITIAL_ revision A got between much newer
ypolyans> (in dates and DAG) R and Q?

If you look closely, it's obvious what happens, monotone does a
backward breadth-first traversal of the revision tree.  I think it's
been stated a long time ago that monotone itself doesn't really care
about the time stamps, it only cares about the relationship between
revisions and regards time stamps as information for the user.  The
main reason, as I understand it, is that time stamps can't really be
trusted.  The time on any random computer that participates in a
project may be completely off, and it doesn't really matter.  So all
that's left is a choice on how to traverse the tree by only using the
form of the DAG.

BTW, it's incorrect to say that A got between R and Q in the DAG.  The
log is too linear to visually represent a DAG.  A is exactly where it
should be, at the top of the graph.

Cheers,
Richard

-----