Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone log order

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone log order
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:14:56 -0800

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 01:55:32AM -0500, Yury Polyanskiy wrote:
> I just found an interesting case when monotone log order is somewhat
> puzzling.
[snip]
> A->B->...->R->S
> |             ^
> \---> A1 -----/
[snip]
> Is it ok that _INITIAL_ revision A got between much newer (in dates and
> DAG) R and Q?

Yeah, this is a very long-standing bug, that (for instance) always
causes me problems when writing release notes (because things that
_were_ included in the last release show up as happening _after_ the
last release when I run 'log').

The problem is 'log' currently does a breadth-first traversal of
history.

The proper solution is to greedily explore each sub-branch, but
backtrack upon encountering any version whose parents have not all
been printed.  This way you get a topological sort, i.e., A cannot be
printed until all of its descendents have been printed, and you also
group together linear branches, which makes things more readable.

Could you file a bug in the tracker about this, so at least it's more
visible?

What would also be really helpful would be if you could work out a
test case for it -- testsuite/README has basic information on how to
write them.  Failing test cases are even more helpful than bug tracker
entries :-).

(And, of course, beyond that a fix would not be turned down either
;-).  But the above would be really valuable even without that.)

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra