Re: [Monotone-devel] Problems with _MTN/tmp

From: Ian France
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problems with _MTN/tmp
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:53:23 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:18:38AM +0100, Ian France wrote:

I am all for monotone not losing my files. However, backup files which monotone knows to ignore shouldn't cause an update to fail. They are, after all, quite common things to have in a workspace :-)

While nothing should cause an update to _fail_ like it does now, I
don't really think we should be defaulting to just silently deleting
random stuff either :-).

Granted, but my argument would be that backup files are not random stuff. They are known to monotone to be ignorable, monotone should follow through and ignore them. If I am careless enough to put files which I need to keep in a version controlled directory and tell monotone to ignore them, then I have only myself to blame.

The alternative is that when I want to update my workspace to another branch I have to go and explicitly delete all the backup files that have been created. This could be a right royal pain in the *** on a big project.

Hmm, I don't envy the balancing act you poor developers have to play between different users expectations. Good luck :-)

Ian.