Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn automate tcp

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn automate tcp
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:28:22 -0600

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 14:47 +0100, Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
> Lapo Luchini wrote:
> > I was thinking... wouldn't a "automate tcp" be useful?
[...]
> This approach has multiple problems (and probably more I'm not aware of
> right now):

> 2. Error Handling
> Right now, automate stdio handles errors by exiting the mtn instance. So
> you'd need to be able to start a new 'server' from your
> php/java/c/whatever anyway.

Try sending invalid data over netsync, you'll crash the server. ;-)
(This actually happened around when we added root directory rename
support. I used this before the server got upgraded, and then the server
crashed every time I tried to sync)

So, I don't think allowing automate would make things much worse.

> 3. Working Directory
> automate doesn't allow you to change the working directory. So you
> couldn't use it to handle workspaces (or only at most one).

This is currently impossible due to how our path handling works. The
only way to switch workspaces is to start a new monotone instance, and
that can't change unless our path handling gets reworked a bit.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net