Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:35:01 +0100

Larry Hastings wrote:

Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
Yes, but UTF-8 is a _multi-byte_ encoding.
If you see an LF byte, you don't know whether this is a single-byte LF or part of a multi-byte sequence.
Yes you do, because all multi-byte character sequences in UTF-8 have the high-bit set. If you see 0x0A in a UTF-8 stream you can be certain it /is/ an LF and /not/ part of a multi-byte sequence.

I suspected that, which is why I put in the part about NON-8-bit encodings, which you conveniently cut out.

-- Ulf