Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings as project policy

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings as project policy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:59:13 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:22:25 -0800, "Justin Patrin"
<address@hidden> said:

papercrane> As a heavy user of version control systems (CVS, SVN, and
papercrane> MTN mostly) I'm also against any automatic conversion of
papercrane> text line endings. While I understand that "some editors"
papercrane> and "some programs" don't like certain line endings, in
papercrane> the general case it's easier to just leave things as they
papercrane> are. Most programs and editors are fine with any type of
papercrane> line ending and will work correctly on them. If there is a
papercrane> problem then the user or repository manager can set a
papercrane> setting that will convert the files. The default should
papercrane> always be "leave it alone, let the user/repo admin/person
papercrane> checking in decide whether to convert".

And yet, we're still speaking about systems where the only difference
is a character or two.  On a record oriented filesystem, you MUST
convert text files to actual separate records (lines), or anything
that deals with text (such as more or less all editors, all compilers,
all diffing tools, all...  the list goes on) is basically rendered
worthless.

I guess that monotone will stay on Unix/Windows/MacOS only.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/