[Monotone-devel] Re: Using monotone in a team

From: Boris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Using monotone in a team
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:30:47 -0000

Hugo Cornelis wrote:
> I did not see such a thing like 'certs' with other version control
> systems (I could obviously be wrong on this), but, because certs allow
> for many different types of user defined workflows, it is exactly the
> reason why I started using monotone.
>
> There is a learning curve involved when dealing with certs, because
> they come in handy at different places, and, as it seems, sometimes
> fit different functions.  For the moment the wiki comes through as a
> bit 'theoretical'.  I think it might be useful if the wiki contains
> more examples of how to setup things like the (almost hierarchical)
> work-flows explained below.

I read TrustFoundations in the Wiki. And while I think I understand what it
talks about I agree it's a bit theoretical. Maybe someone can tell me what I
actually need to enter on the command line when we look at an example:

Jim's company has been growing due to the success of JuiceBot. More
developers joined his team to work on new versions of JuiceBot. The flat
hierarchy in the earlier days of the company changed: Now there are junior
and senior developers. While he doesn't mind senior developers to mess
around in the code he doesn't want junior developers to change code in the
main branch. He wants changes of junior developers to be approved by senior
developers.

Jim creates a new branch for junior developers:
mtn --branch=jp.co.juicebot.jb7.junior --message="junior branch"

Then he changes the file read-permissions to:
pattern "jp.co.juicebot.jb7*"
allow "address@hidden"
pattern "jp.co.juicebot.jb7.junior*"
allow "address@hidden"

Question: There is no way (and I assume no need) to set write-permissions
per user? I don't see anything in the documentation that I can use pattern
and allow in write-permissions, too?

Now junior developers work on their own branch while senior developers can
change code in the main branch directly. From time to time a senior
developer checks the junior branch.

1) Let's say everything is all right. He can then propagate changes from the
junior to the main branch and vice versa?
2) Let's say the senior developer doesn't like the last revision. Then he
can disapprove it and revert it to the previous revision?
3) Let's say he uses the approve command which adds a certificate to the
revision. How exactly can this new certificate be used?

I especially wonder about option #3. Is there some automatic support for
approvals or is this something which must be implemented in hook functions?

Boris