Re: [Monotone-devel] question regarding stdio and streams

From: Nathaniel J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] question regarding stdio and streams
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:30:12 -0800

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:13:01PM -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> Thomas Keller spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Apparently informational messages (printed with the P() macro) and
> > ticker output goes to clog instead of cout. If I want to move those
> > output to the stdio output, which currently only processes cout, what
> > would be the supposed way?
>
> It would generally be good to move these to stdout, anyway ... the
> fact that ticker output goes to stderr is quite disconcerting for
> those reared in the Unix Way -- who expect only errors to go to
> stderr.

However, this would break piping, which is a rather more important
part of the Unix Way :-).  In particular: diff, log, status, annotate,
cat, all automate commands (and _especially_ automate stdio), ... all
expect their stdout stream to pristine of random chatter.

If you want to include the information into automate stdio's stdout
stream, you need to multiplex it in somehow, and I don't have any
particular opinion on what the best way would be to write such code.
I'm sort of surprised you even want it :-).