Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Why is utf8 type _NOVERIFY, and other vocab stu

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Why is utf8 type _NOVERIFY, and other vocab stuff.
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:27:18 -0800

On 2/17/07, Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2/16/07, Justin Patrin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Running these commands over PuTTY on my Gentoo system (from Windows) gives me:
> address@hidden ~ $ echo "\xC2\xB7" | iconv -f UTF-8 -t
> CP1252//IGNORE//TRANSLIT
> \xC2\xB7
> address@hidden ~ $ echo "\xC2\xB7" | iconv -f UTF-8 -t
> ASCII//IGNORE//TRANSLIT
> \xC2\xB7
> address@hidden ~ $ echo "\xC3\x80" | iconv -f UTF-8 -t
> CP1252//IGNORE//TRANSLIT
> \xC3\x80
> address@hidden ~ $ echo "\xC3\x80" | iconv -f UTF-8 -t
> CP1252//IGNORE//TRANSLIT
> \xC3\x80
>
> Which I assume means that my shell is sending those strings in
> straight instead of making them UTF-8.

Bourne shells do not interpret C-style \-escapes in double-quoted
strings, and whether or not "echo" interprets them is extremely
system-specific.  The "printf" shell builtin does interpret them,
though; try changing "echo" to "printf" and appending "\n" to all the
strings.

(Lapo: Please read up some on portability of Unix APIs at both the
shell and C level.  You are assuming over and over again that things
which work on your personal Linux box work everywhere.  It just isn't
so.)

zw

Well, with printf and an added \n I get a quesiton mark for the CP1252
ones and "iconv: illegal input sequence at position 3" for the ASCII
ones.

--
Justin Patrin