Re: [Monotone-devel] Fatal error: std::runtime_error

From: Jens Seidel
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Fatal error: std::runtime_error
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:14:15 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 10:15:29AM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Jens Seidel wrote:
> >I just cannot assume that it's the normal bahaviour to kill monotone
> >after fetching the last revision. I don't know what tasks are performed
> >by monotone after it but it's no option to wait a really long time for
> >the error mentioned above.
>
> How do you know it's the last revision? I'm suspecting that the server

Because of the last column in the output:
mtn: Bytes rein | Bytes raus | Zertifikate rein | Revisionen rein
mtn:    192,0 k |    105,2 k |           52/132 |           33/33

> or the client want to send more information, but cannot because they
> somehow got disconnected. At least that's what the error message is
> telling me.
>
> >I tried
> > $ mtn --db=oe.db pull monotone.openembedded.org org.openembedded.dreambox
> >again and this time it stopped properly and immediately after the last
> >revision was fetched.
>
> I'm glad it worked for you this time.

But now it failed again! strace output:
$ strace -p 9521
Process 9521 attached - interrupt to quit
select(7, [6], [], [6], {21439, 988000}

This remembers me that I had to restart monotone during the last large
update every 100-200 revisions because it froze. It was really funny:
I started it, waited approx. 30 minutes until it hung, stopped it using
Ctrl+C, restarted, waited, killed, ... (many times).

> To me that really looks like the connection between that machine and the
> openembedded server got interrupted somehow. I guess we probably don't
> handle such interruptions very gracefully.

Feel free to test this server. The maintainer will probably not protest
as the server is useless without a working monotone.

> >I? Sorry, I don't now anything about openembedded or monotone. I'm a
> >subversion/CVS user most of the time :-(
>
> So, do you mind sharing any other impressions you got from using
> monotone. Do you understand or even like it? I'd like to hear more ;-)

Sorry, all I know up to know are basic commands of monotone. A
distributed revision control system has many advantages, but I have only
very minor experiences (mostly with darcs) with such systems. I will dig
into the documentation ...
But currently it is just to slow.

> And besides: what version do you ues?

I posted this already: 0.31 (Debian Etch).

Jens