Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:08:23 -0600

Thomas Moschny wrote:
> Well, I don't see how replacing one special case with another one could
> simplify anything. Maybe monotone's output code then doesn't need to care
> anymore, but external tools would have to deal with that special root dir
> name anyway. In trac for example, all paths start with '/'.

Pretty much all unix tools know what to do with "." as a path name. So
they could process the output from automate inventory or ls known/etc.
without first dealing with the root dir as a special case. A script can
open "." if it's running in the workspace root dir. It cannot open ""
without first changing it to ".".

> Overall, the gain for such a big change (all manifests and revisions and thus
> also their ids will change) seems to be rather small.

Agreed. That's why such a change would be saved for some other flag-day
inducing event. It certainly doesn't merit such a change on its own.

It's also entirely possible that this is a silly idea and perhaps a
better and simpler change would just be to *output* all paths with a
"./" prefix and call the root dir "."

Cheers,
Derek