Re: [Monotone-devel] CHAR_BIT on Mac OS X not in <limits>

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] CHAR_BIT on Mac OS X not in <limits>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:46:10 -0600

Jens Finkhäuser wrote:
> I'm currently fiddling with the monotone source code to create a new
> command that allows me to re-sign revisions. At first glance, that seems
> possible.

Doesn't the cert command already do this?

You will have to issue 4 certs for each revision (branch, author, date,
changelog). Or are you thinking of a macro command that issues these 4
certs with a new key?

> Why do I want to do that? Let's just say I did stuff when I wasn't fully
> awake... as a result, I now have a number of revisions in my db that are
> signed with a key that doesn't exist anymore. What's worse, I have a key
> with the same ID in the db, so monotone (quite correctly) cries havoc.
> And, no, I don't have backups.

A large number or a small one? ;)

- make a backup db!
- delete all the bad certs from the bad revisions
- issue new certs on each revision using values from the old db

This is possibly easier with a small number of bad revs but I'm sure you
it can be scripted for a large number.

> If you have any better idea than regenerating signatures with the new
> key for each revisions, I'd be glad to hear it. If not, is there any
> interest for a command like that to go into monotone? Any preferences as
> to the specifics of this command?
>
> Personally, I'd go the simple/stupid way and would want
>
>   mtn sign <key id> <revision>

mtn cert <revision> branch '...'
mtn cert <revision> date '...'
mtn cert <revision> author '...'
mtn cert <revision> changelog '...'

Yeah, this is a little verbose and will require a lot more typing that
simply saying "please resign all of the certs on some revision with a
new key" I guess.

> overwriting any previous signatures for that revision in the db.

You can really only issue new certs with the new key. Overwriting
doesn't work so well because if you've pushed the bad certs to any other
database they'll simply come back the next time you sync.

> Thanks for any replies,

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Derek