Re: [Monotone-devel] New commands (for mtn, in lua)

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New commands (for mtn, in lua)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:22:30 -0700

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:45:46AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 04:10:55AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> >
> > So my suggestion:
> >   -- just put things that are intended for programs in automate
> >   -- but only after you've made the effort to make them good.
> >      "Effort" includes doing the things you have control over (like
> >      thinking hard, and writing docs and tests), but not the ones you
> >      don't (if you're getting paralyzed because you need more data and
> >      it's impossible to get that data, then skip it)
>
> But don't just skip it.  Mark it as being skipped.  Say what's being
> skipped in the code and documentation.  Say what's paralysing you.  Then
> someone else will be warned that dragons may lurk.  And someone with
> different resources may know what's worth contributing.

Sure, or talk about it on the mailing list, whatever's most
appropriate.

I get the impression that the inventory fixes, for instance, are just
stalled because everyone is nervous there are things they haven't
thought of and that could be arbitrarily bad, I mean who *knows* what
you haven't thought of, you certainly don't... of course, in the mean
time, inventory is known to be quite broken, with certainty :-).

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender