Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: zlib vs gzip

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: zlib vs gzip
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:41:40 -0400

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 10:42:52PM +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Think about it... fastest LZO for on-the-wire compression, LZ77 or BZIP2
> for the "complete file" table... :P
>
> I'm a as-small-as-it-can-get-freak, I know.... (optional? I would use it
> only on my box? I promise to maintain it and write many tests for it
> even after the physical ending of my mortal soil? ooook. I was kidding.
> KINDA. not really.)

Or: no compression, for people who have plenty of cheap disk and would
prefer Monotone not bother compressing anything going to a local DB
since it just slows things down, and are perfectly willing to trade a
penny or two of platter space for even slightly faster interactive
response from a tool they use a lot. (Raises hand)