Re: Fwd: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:35:52 -0600

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 17:11 -0800, J Decker wrote:
> [...]

Adding lines to a file is roughly equivalent to adding files to a
directory, it's seen as a modification to an existing object.

Merging a (unversioned) directory that exists in the workspace with a
directory being added in an update is seen as the same as merging a
(unversioned) file that exists in the workspace with a file being added
in an update, or two objects (directory or file) added with the same
name in separate branches, ie 2-way merge where two distinct objects are
made into one.

This isn't permitted, because it would make it rather annoying to try to
guarantee that the merge algorithm will behave sanely.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net