Re: [Monotone-devel] automate show_conflict

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] automate show_conflict
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:02:23 +0200

Stephen Leake schrieb:
In the end I think we should do two things: Disable
use_workspace_options for automate commands (since they're "used" only
when these commands are executed outside of stdio) and explicitely use
/ read the workspace options if show_conflicts didn't get enough
arguments.

I don't think this gains us anything. With use_workspace_options true
for all automate commands, executing 'show_conflicts' via 'automate
stdio' processes the workspace options only once, in cpp_main.

On the other hand, setting use_workspace_options true loses the
workspace options when not running via automate stdio.

Emacs DVC runs automate both with via stdio and directly, although I
agree running via stdio is preferred in general.

Thats why I want to make it explicit - if a command doesn't need a workspace, mtn should not even try to read any possible existing _MTN/options with some (yet unknown) side effects when it comes to options.

And thats why I also like to have automate show_conflicts behave like any other workspace automate command (f.e. inventory), which bails out with "workspace required, but not found" before anything else. The "empty branch" error message is not explicitely telling anybody "hey, there is a workspace missing" - it could also be the case that for some weird reason the branch option in _MTN/options is just empty (who knows).

And, lastly, I surely want that commands behave equally on stdio and non-stdio usage :)

Thomas.