[Monotone-devel] Re: nuskool & certs created after a revision

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: nuskool & certs created after a revision
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 10:14:37 +0200

Lapo Luchini wrote:
This way I only have, on each sync, to double-check the certs created at the time of the frontier, which as we well know is usually composed of only a few heads (1, 2, rarely more).

Uh, not so, this does not work as well, seen in the daylight: *which* frontier? The very edge of the full DAG may well reside in private branches that never get synced, so that can't be used. The "creation time revision ID" could be selected within the same branch as the node the cert is referring to in the first place, except:
a. it may not have a branch and it's not nice to rely on one
b. as the inclusion/exclusion pattern changes, the frontier "moves" and may probably hide my "frontier time creation" certs.

Reading William's and Graydon's answers, I'm not sure I perfectly understood their proposal and why it doesn't have the same problem as mine. Graydon, what's the relation between your synthetic tree file and branches?

Of course one approach that works for sure is gsync-over-branches (and sending all of the certs with them as well) and then a merkle-refinement just to catch up with those few certs that are created later. I think that such a merkle-refinement would be very fast, as only differences in certificates created on the edge of previous gsync on the frontier nodes could really be different, so very little differences in average.

  Lapo