[Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship

From: Koen Kooi
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 09:04:20 +0200

Bruce Stephens wrote:
"Justin Patrin"<address@hidden>  writes:

It seems that some of the folks at OpenEmbedded are now grumbling
about use of monotone again and that some of our key developers are
looking to switch to something else (hg or git)[1]. The main point
of contention seems to revolve around, as we've seem lately on this
list, getting rid of revisions. In this particular case a revision
had been distributed that made unwanted changes. It was a head
revision and was suspended by a developer but other developers who
had versions of monotone prior to the suspend functionality blindly
merged it with their code, causing a chain of suspensions/removals
that was eventually fixed with a reverse patch.

So how, concretely, would this have played out better had OpenEmbedded
been using either hg or git?

[...]

Well, git has this feature:

"An example from man git-push:
--force
Usually, the command refuses to update a remote ref that is not an ancestor of the local ref used to overwrite it. This flag disables the check. This can cause the remote repository to lose commits; use it with care."

which I suspect will get used quite often "because the server didn't seem to respond".

<sarcasms>But that would be OK, since deleting the server and setting up a new repo is real easy and fast</sarcasm>