Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn2git issues

From: Felipe Contreras
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn2git issues
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:01:19 +0300

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Patrick Georgi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras schrieb:
>> Then I tried get_manifest_of, however, that is very slow. And even if
>> it wasn't, it would require a considerable amount of processing and
>> store every tree of every revision.
>>
>> Do you have any recommendation on how to get what changed in each
>> revision? Surely it must not be that difficult.
>>
> Did you try rosters? They're an internal representation of manifests
> (with some differences, they contain some data specific to the local
> repository, which you might not care about), and they're also stored in
> delta format, like manifests. Maybe access is still faster (because they
> don't need as much validation, as far as I know)
>
> For git, you want to know how the tree looked at specific times
> (snapshots), but the native data exchange format in monotone is
> changesets (what you get with get_revision - it tells you what changed
> from rev A to rev B, and in merge scenarios, to each side "the whole
> other side" happened, to get to the merged result).

Well, this is for git fast-import. So I want the changes of each revision.

The only difference is that in git the changes in both branches of a
merge are 'already done' so you can't do them again. So I guess what
fast-import is doing is taking the changes strictly of the merge, and
then the rest of the files are taken from the parents.

--
Felipe Contreras