[Monotone-devel] Re: git_export improvement

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: git_export improvement
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:51:17 -0600

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Felipe Contreras <address@hidden> wrote:
However, there's one missing feature: now that I'm not testing any
more I would like git_export to abort when the author is not listed.
Can you do that?

By "not listed" do you mean not present in the authors-file?

Note that this doesn't have much, if anything, to do with the "<unknown>" string used as the default author when there are *no* author certs. In that case, there's not much else to do, some string needs to be used for the author, and this string is looked up in the authors-file allowing you to change it if you like.

At the moment, if the authors-file lookup fails the author string is checked to ensure that it is wrapped in '<' and '>' characters which seems to work ok for many historical monotone names and avoids the need to create a full authors-file. It sounds like you want to require a successful authors-file lookup and disable this name fixup.

I think it might be better to use a lua hook for doing whatever name fixups are required if the authors-file lookup fails and if this hook fails we'll cancel the export. This should allow for using either the authors-file, or the hook or both.

IMHO putting some fake id such as 'unknown' is good for testing
purposes so perhaps it should be turned on with --enable-author-guess
or something.

As mentioned above, the "<unknown>" string is used when there are no author certs available. We could provide an option to set the value of this string to something else, but you can already change this string using the authors-file so another option would be redundant.

Cheers,
Derek