Re: [Monotone-devel] setup creates _MTN/mtn.db

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] setup creates _MTN/mtn.db
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 07:29:35 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 09 May 2010 02:48:42 +0200, Thomas Keller
<address@hidden> said:

me> Maybe we could make it easier to "extract", or better "move" an
me> internalized database to an external place and vice versa, so people
me> don't have to mess with _MTN/options by hand? Then maybe
me> $HOME/.monotone/databases/<user-chosen-name>.mtn is a good default,
me> similar to what Stephen proposed. We could add more management features
me> there, f.e. a "list databases" command which lists available known
me> databases, a way to find a database only by its name (ie. -d foo would
me> look for and find $HOME/.monotone/databases/foo.mtn), we could "connect"
me> databases and workspaces by adding known workspaces of a database as db
me> variables and list those as well in the database list. There could be a
me> hook "get_default_database_location" which could be altered by the user
me> to a different path than the default one underknees $HOME, stuff like that.

THIS idea, I like!  +10 or something ;-)

(and while we're on that debate, I strongly dislike the _MTN/mtn.db
idea, for a very simple reason; I sometimes experiment with something
as a start in some temporary directory, and usually regard the
database as safe while the workspace isn't...  with this default, it
suddenly becomes dangerous to just toss away the workspace when it's
not needed any more.  I regard this default as unsafe practice, and
would rather like it do be something like - following your thoughts
above here - ~/.monotone/databases/_default.mtn)

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/