[Monotone-devel] hello and thanx

From: J Decker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] hello and thanx
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:31:14 -0700

Nice to see lots of bugs squashed :)

I have to thank you for developing a sane product.   I have been
coerced into using mercurial at work, and after coming from monotone,
some of the things it makes me do are just insane.  Merge, for
instance, must be done through a workspace, so in order to just merge
two heads, If I had work in progress in the tree, I have to clone the
repository to another directory, check out the source(ya that's the
same step), and then do the merging;  A commit from a merge cannot be
done with relative paths like 'I want to commit just this part of the
tree', you have to commit the whole thing, so work in progress changes
would get mixed up in the whole thing.  The revisions to merge are all
in the repository, so why does it require a workspace?!  Git does the
same thing in this respect.

I dunno, this seems like such a small thing, but it pisses me off to
no end that I have to do so much extra work just to make sure that
sane merges happen.

Rebasing to another branch in mercurial and git are both very slow.

(coming from branch)
mtn update -r h:branch1  (takes like 3 seconds, 6 if i count the time
it scrolls text)
hg update -r h:branch1  (takes like a minute)

and there were more files changed in the mtn difference between
branches than were changes in mercurial.

git also gave me a huge hassle rebasing to another branch... I had
minor edits in the files, and it had no idea what to do with that...
and revert didn't work.. but that was a month ago, so the details of
my anger elude me.

Again, thanx, keep up the great work!

Wish you guys get a gui soon!  what with tortoise hg, git, and svn out
there (is there a tortoise bzr yet) ... should be easy enough to grab
one of those and tweak it to fit monotone.

Jim