Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone suppresses .svn directories.

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone suppresses .svn directories.
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:11:30 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:24:37 -0500, Hendrik Boom
<address@hidden> said:

hendrik> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 02:28:52AM -0500, Stephen Leake wrote:
hendrik> > Hendrik Boom <address@hidden> writes:
hendrik> >
hendrik> > > How can I do the recursive mtn add and suppress the .svn
hendrik> >
hendrik> > .svn is in the standard Lua function 'ignore_file'; you can override
hendrik> > that function definition in your ~/.monotone/monotonerc
hendrik> Except I might still want to not override it when I'm working on other
hendrik> projects.  Is there some per-project or similar way of providing lua
hendrik> function?  Shoud there be?

_MTN/monotonerc (see

However, that means that everyone who shares this particular project
must maintain their respective copy of that file, which is a bit dumb
in this case...

Personally, I'd like to expand on the ignore_file functionality to
have a anti-ignore concept.  I can see it done in one of two ways:

 - have a file .mtn_noignore alongside .mtn_ignore.
 - have a special syntax, anything in .mtn_ignore starting with ! is a
   anti-ignore, which means that whatever follows the ! is an
   expression for paths that should NOT be ignored.

Also, there would be some kind of override mechanism for conflicting
matches.  One would be chronological, so the latter of them wins:

    in this example, the file 'foo' is ignored.

    in this example, the file 'foo' is not ignored.

The other way to do it is to decide if ignores or anti-ignores have
higher priority.  If we would go for the .mtn_noignore file, we will
have to do it this way...