mpfrcpp-common

Fwd: Re: [MPFRCPP] order of initialization of globals

From: Alexey Beshenov
Subject: Fwd: Re: [MPFRCPP] order of initialization of globals
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:30:37 +0400

Subject: Re: [MPFRCPP] order of initialization of globals
Date: Sunday 05 August 2007 18:02
From: Richard <address@hidden>
To: Alexey Beshenov <address@hidden>

In article <address@hidden>,

    Alexey Beshenov <address@hidden>  writes:
> I've attached a replacement for initialization.cpp.

It looks like the same sort of change I made, so that should work.

> Could you test it with your compiler and provide me an information on
> compiler's version? (I think it's better to refer to `cl' tool version
> rather than MS VS version.)

cl /? gives:

Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762
for 80x86

I have Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite Edition installed.

> Is everything from `make check' works (yes, std_complex shouldn't)?

I'm not using the Makefiles, but after I made a similar change,
everything compiled and ran without crashing.

One thing about the test applications is that they don't act like unit
tests -- they act more like compiler tests.  In other words, if the
test application links and runs without crashing, its assumed that the
code compiled correctly.  However, its unclear from looking at the
output of the test programs if the code is actually working as
desired.

For instance, the serialization sample has output that looks confusing
at first because its printing out the factorial numbers in base 32
serialization.  So at first glance it looks like the output is
incorrect.  A unit test for the serialization functionality would be
slightly different from the existing serialization test.  It would
compute the 100 factorials, serialize them to a file and then read them
in from the same file into a different array.  Then it would validate
that the two arrays contain the same values.  This tests serialization
end-to-end but reports output only when the values are different.

I'm interested in using gmp/mpfr/mpfrcpp for a deep-zooming fractal
project built using wxWidgets for the UI.  I need an arbitrary
precision math library (preferably with a C++ interface) that can
compile everyplace that wxWidgets can run, or at least *nix, Windows
and Mac OS.

Alexey Beshenov. http://beshenov.ru/