myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] licence dangers

From: Daniele Turi
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] licence dangers
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:47:43 +0100

Hi

I noticed [1] that myExperiment uses AGPL as license.
This is what wikipedia has to say on AGPL [2]:

"The Affero General Public License (or AGPL) is a free software license
derived from the General Public License with an addition section to
cover use over a computer network. It was written by Affero to allow the
rights granted by the GPL to cover interaction with the copyrighted work
over a network, such as the Internet, which the current version of the
GPL (version 2) does not.

Colloquially the additional section requires that the complete source
code be made available to any network user of the AGPLed work, typically
a web application. For the legally precise description see the external
link at the end of the article."

If I understand well, the second paragraph in particular, this is too restrictive.
Is that right?

Daniele

[1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/myexperiment/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License>