myexperiment-discuss

Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] JISC Virtual Research Environment Rapid Innov

From: Carole Goble
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] JISC Virtual Research Environment Rapid Innovation Grants
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:22:16 +0100

Ross

thanks for the heads up!

Carole

2009/10/20 David De Roure <address@hidden>:
The recent JISC call for Virtual Research Environment Rapid Innovation Grants
(VRERI) is stirring interest and some preliminary enquiries to myExperiment.
The programme will fund projects in the £20,000 - £75,000 range, has a budget
of £600k and the proposals are just 5 pages.  See
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/fundingopportunities/funding_calls/2009/10/vreri.aspx

If anyone is interested in doing anything that links into myExperiment in some
way please let me know - as you know, we are happy to support rapid innovation!

Apache Wookie (Incubating) [1] is a project out of the University of
Bolton. It is an implementation of the W3C widget specification, but
it also implements the Google Wave API and the OpenSocial API's. In
other words, Wookie is a widget/gadget server that hides
implementation details between the various competing (and emerging)
standards. Widgets can be embedded in Moodle, Wordpress, Elgg and
others (Sakai is considering it).

OSS Watch [2] are working with the Wookie team to help them reach
sustainability, obviously their recent entry into the Apache incubator
helps in this respect, but we need to create a diversity of community
before it can graduate. One way to do this is to encourage people like
those here to experiment with it.

I'd like to encourage people involved with MyExperiment to consider
bidding into the VRE RI call to expose MyExperiment functionality as
W3C widgets.

I'm happy to discuss ideas here, on the Wookie mailing list [3] or
privately via the OSS Watch private advisory channel
(address@hidden).

Ross

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/wookie
[2] http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk