nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nanomiscbugs2 update

From: David Benbennick
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nanomiscbugs2 update
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:54:34 -0500

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:58:29PM -0800, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> * for consistency, changed some instances of "if (x ==
> NULL)" to "if (!x)" and "if (x != NULL)" to "if (x)"

I wonder whether this is a good idea.  Here are two reasons it might not
be:

1) It's natural to distinguish three types of variables: booleans,
numbers, and pointers.  Saying "if (x)" signals that x is a boolean, with
only two values.  Indeed, Java enforces this style.  Blurring the
difference between pointers and booleans doesn't make the code easier to
understand.

2) Lots of functions are documented as returning NULL for certain
conditions, but I don't know of anything saying NULL is necessarily 0.  It
just happens to be on every real system.

Anyway, in my opinion it's (slightly) better to explicitly test for NULL.