nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon xterm
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:44:31 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for the delay; it's been a busy few days.

Lee Nelson:
>Hi,
>
>  I am a FreeBSD user who loves Nano and uses it every single day.
>
>  I will be happy to do whatever testing is required and report back.
>I am a programmer so I can speak code, but I am unfamiliar with the
>whole terminal/ncurses world.
>
>  Please let me know how I can help.

Don't worry.  Just being able to figure out what key code is being
generated in the event of a key malfunction is often helpful enough.

Wouter van Hemel:
>I have several freebsd machines here and at work. If you give me a
>clear list with things to check and which patches to incorporate into
>the code, I'd be happy to test things for you when I have time.
>
>(None of them has X installed, though, if that's an issue.)

The list is below, although what patches are needed hasn't been worked
out quite yet.  As for whether X is needed, I'm not sure whether it's an
issue here.

----------

At the moment, the main issue is the input problems that nano has with
FreeBSD terminals.  (Unless of course, there are other problems with
nano on FreeBSD that we don't know about, in which case please speak
up.)  It's just a matter of finding out, with your help, what has to be
done to get everything working properly input-wise.  Basically, all we
need at the moment is for you to test all of nano's shortcut keys and
make sure they all work properly (both with and without --keypad).

When input problems crop up on your FreeBSD boxes, we need to know:

1. Are you using --keypad or not?

2. What exact terminal type(s) are you using, e. g. the FreeBSD console,
xterm on FreeBSD, etc., and what is $TERM on those terminal type(s)?

3. Exactly what keys malfunction, and how do they malfunction?

Now, in terms of #3, we know about the Delete/Backspace confusion.
However, we need to know the answers to #1 and #2 concerning it.  (If
extended ncurses values like KEY_DC are being generated when the hack
isn't applied, then it appears that the answer to #1 is no.  Is this
right?)  Also:

1. With the hack applied, do all the keys work as expected?

2. Without the hack applied: If Backspace generates KEY_DC, what does
Delete generate?

Thank you both.