nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] terminal not fully restored when backgrounding/foregrou

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] terminal not fully restored when backgrounding/foregrounding
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:47:19 -0400

David Benbennick wrote:
> On 8/20/06, David Lawrence Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The latter :) This is exactly how Pico (actually "pico -z") behaves
>> when suspending.
>
> Nonsense.  If that's Pico's behavior, it's a bug.  This is the single
> most annoying bug in Nano, in my opinion, and it's been around for a
> long time.
>
> To clarify, what I'm talking about, and what I think Mike was talking
> about, is the following:
>
> 1) Open a new xterm, and do "ls /".  The cursor is now somewhere in
> the middle of the terminal, say line 5, not at the bottom.
> 2) nano
> 3) ctrl-z.  The cursor is now something like 8 lines farther down the
> terminal.

What version are you using when this happens?  As of version 1.3.12, I
changed nano's behavior so that suspending it would clear the screen and
put the cursor on the last line before displaying anything, which is
exactly what Pico does.

> 4) ps aux.  The ps output fills up the terminal, and the cursor is now
> at the bottom.
> 5) fg
> 6) ctrl-x.  The cursor is now on line 6, in the middle of the ps
> output!  It should be at the bottom where it was before.

With nano 1.3.12 or later, at least on my system, the cursor is now
where it was after the "ls /", and any text displayed while suspended
(in this case, the "ps aux" output) is no longer onscreen.  This is what
I think Mike was describing when he said "the resulting terminal state
is as if ps had never been run".

> This bug is extremely annoying.  Suppose you're writing a program in
> Nano, and you suspend to run the compiler.  The compiler output will
> show up in the middle of the screen, on top of whatever was already
> there, so it's hard to read.
>
> I will pay $10 by Paypal to whoever fixes this bug.

It should be fixed in nano 1.3.12, 1.9.99pre0, and current CVS already. If it isn't, please let me know.